Are you passionate about the open source GIS ecosystem? Do you want to grow your career as a geospatial data expert on a team that is passionate about open source software and working on complex client problems?
Do you have the technical know-how with the right mix of soft skills to partner with top-notch data scientists to answer key questions and create data visualizations that make insights pop?
We are looking for a GIS Analyst to help us continue to grow makepath into an elite geospatial data science team.
- Perform GIS data development, integration and analysis, produce maps and graphics, and extract, analyze and report different types of geospatial data.
- Proficiency with commonly used GIS desktop software and geodatabase products/tools.
- Strong expertise in preprocessing spatial data.
- Keen ability to think spatially and determine what tools are needed to solve specific problems.
- Strong understanding of commonly used geographic data formats.
- Ability to give recommendations for best practices for handling and analyzing with different kinds of geospatial datasets.
- Provide innovative location analysis and geospatial planning tools that support client strategy.
- Extract insights from geographic data through various GIS technical capabilities.
- Leverage open source GIS tools to deliver dynamic visual stories to support decision-making that can have a tactical or strategic geographic impact.
- Utilize code in GIS to automate data and map processing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, or related discipline.
- Strong background in analytics and statistical methods.
- We offer flexible work hours, but you are expected to be available for meetings and general interactions from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm (Central US Time Zone)
- 3-5 years of GIS industry experience.
- Contribution to Open Source libraries within the Python / PyData ecosystem
- Recognition of data analysis as both an art and a science.
- Experience with widely-used open source GIS software such as QGIS, GRASS and GeoPandas
- Experience working with Jupyter notebooks
- Familiarity with advanced analytics for machine learning and artificial intelligence applications
- Familiarity with cloud technologies including Azure or AWS
- Experience with database administration
- Experience working in a sprint/agile environment
If you want to learn more about working with us, we wrote a blog post titled: Why Work at makepath?
makepath is a Spatial Data Science and AI firm that specializes in using and building Open Source tools.
We are passionate about the open-source ecosystem and actively contribute to many ongoing projects and libraries.
We embrace a fully-remote company culture. We also value face-to-face connections and travel to meet with clients and team members as needed.